Yahoo! saw searches spiking for young and old movie idols, Philippine sports team’s victory, the national language month, and the driver of a floating car.
- Kim Chiu: Kapamilya actress Kim Chiu has been spiking on Yahoo! Search lately as her fans anticipate her upcoming TV series “My Binondo Girl,” where she plays the dual role of a man and a woman. Last week, Kim and other stars and staff of the show flew to Hong Kong to shoot some scenes. The series is her first without former screen partner Gerald Anderson. Kim says she hopes fans will still support her even if she’s not paired with Gerald this time.
- Sarah Geronimo and Angeline Quinto: The protégés of singing competitions on the television, Star Power grand winner Angeline Quinto and Pop Star Princess Sarah Geronimo are often pitted against each other. Sarah has admitted that she avoided a showdown between them, but says that she is open to doing a concert with Angeline. While Sarah was not able to join Angeline in her concert last month, the two recently performed together in ASAP.
- Smart Gilas Pilipinas: The Philippines’ national basketball team, Smart Gilas Pilipinas, has been performing well in the Jones Cup 2011 in Taiwan. Smart Gilas beat Iran during the opening game on Saturday and Taiwan on Sunday. The team which lost to Jordan the next day, bounced back on Tuesday with a 86-68 win against Malaysia. Meanwhile, the Cobra Philippine Dragon Boat Team bagged five gold and two silver medals at the 10thInternational World Championship in Florida, USA.
- Miss Universe 2011: Yahoo! Philippines users are getting excited about this year’s Miss Universe beauty pageant, which will happen on September 12 in Brazil. The country’s official candidate, Binibining Pilipinas-Universe Shamcey Supsup, flew to Sao Paolo alone on Monday. Shamcey said has worked hard and is determined to get the crown, and “with the support of everyone, I believe I have the chance.”
- Jake Ejercito: The son of former President Joseph Estrada and actress Laarni Enriquez, Jake Ejercito, is romantically linked to Andi Eigenmann. He is supportive of Andi and was even initially thought as the father of the child Andi is carrying. However, her family clarified that the child’s real father is Andi’s ex-boyfriend, believed by many as teen actor Albie Casiño.
- Enrique Gil and Julia Montes: Kapamilya teen stars Enrique Gil and Julia Montes are in the cast of Star Cinema’s Way Back Home. Enrique, who replaced Albie Casiño, will play opposite Kathryn Bernardo. He recently trended on Twitter after being a guest onGandang Gabi, Vice. Meanwhile, Julia Montes, who played Clara in Mara Clara, is paired with Sam Concepcion, who took over the role initially assigned to the late AJ Perez. Julia has recently been called “the next Claudine Barretto,” and she is happy but pressured about being compared to her idol.
- Buwan ng Wika: August is the national language month or “Buwan ng Wika.” On August 12, 1988, President Corazon Aquino issued Proclamation No. 19 proclaiming National Language Week on August 13-19. Former President Ramos expanded the celebration by issuing Proclamation No. 1041 on January 15, 1997, which declares August as “National Language Month.”
As the nation celebrates Buwan ng Wika, Kabataan Partylist Rep. Mong Palatino filed a resolution that seeks to probe the penalties imposed by some schools on students who use their mother tongue in school. To promote the use of English language, certain schools have been reported to fine students who do not use the colonial language inside the campus.
- Julie Ann San Jose: Kapuso Talent Julie Ann San Jose, who was David Archuleta’s front act in his Manila concert last month, is part of the cast of an upcoming GMA Films movieTween Academy: Class of 2012. She will also be seen later this year with her screen partner Elmo Magalona in the series Daldakina, which will be cast child actress Jillian Ward.
- Christopher Lao: UP College of Law student Christopher Lao, whose car floated when he drove through a flooded road in Quezon City, was at the receiving end of insults on social media sites after his August 2 interview with GMA Network went viral. In the interview, he blamed the Metro Manila Development Authority, the media crew, and the bystanders for not informing him about the flood. His line “I should have been informed,” became an Internet meme. Former UP Law dean Marvic Leonen defended Lao, while GMA News called on the public to stop the insults. For its part, media watchdog Center for Media Freedom and Responsibility said Lao is a victim of “social media excess.”
- Nora Aunor: The Philippines’ superstar, Nora Aunor, now 58, is finally back in the country. In an August 2 press conference held to welcome her, she admitted her past errors and asked for forgiveness from those she had hurt, including former President Estrada, whom she abandoned during EDSA 2. She plays the role of Gen. Emilio Aguinaldo’s second wife in the biopic “El Presidente.”
Pingback: Top Trending Topics on Yahoo! Philippines from August 1 to 7 … | Top Celebrity